Saturday 14 January 2012

Kitesurfing in Moy Nei

I’d heard a lot of good things about kitesurfing and I’d also heard that Moy Ne was one of the best places in the world to do it. So I figured fuck it, I’d throw some money at some lessons. It was 50 dollars an hour through Rip Curl but as they where a name I recognized and had a pretty good looking setup and professionally looking instructors I decided on the 7 hour “get up on the board” training course for 330 dollars. We started out with some theory on the ground whilst waiting for the wind to pick up and thenh set about learning how the kite works and how to control it into the wind. This was all good and I enjoyes playing around on the beach and was starting to get the hang of it. Then we went into the sea to try out being towed by the kite whilst the instructor was holding onto my back. Again, I was doing well at keeping the kite in the powert zone and then all of a sudden the biggest wave I’ve ever seen nailed the pair of us. It felt like a tsunami hit me and whilst I was being battered by the wave and dragged under the sea by the kite I managed to release the kite slightly too late and it came smashing down into the sea breaking it. After that I decided I’d had enough of my kite surfing adventure and as I’d only paid for the time I’d already done I decided not to do any more for fear of injury. I like to think of myself as a bit of an adrenaline junky, I like riding motorbikes at silly speeds, jumping out of planes etc but the feeling of being in a washing machine and seeing a fair few injured holiday goers put me off and I decided I’d save my money for Scuba diving (which was a great choice) and made my way to Ho Chi Min to chill for a few days before my flight to Bangkok on the 22nd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment