Saturday 21 January 2012

Christmas on Ko Samui

On the boat over to Ko Samui we'd managed to book into some beach huts for a very reasonable price, especially seeing as we where arriving in a really touristy area at the peak of the festive season. Essentially there was 5 of us; me, a German girl called birte and the three guys from Melbourne, Langers, Pat and Tom. It rained pretty much the entire time we where there but we still managed to have a great time. 

Christmas eve the four blokes went to the local town to check out the thai boxing and have a few jars. We managed to keep things cheep by buying our beers from the 7-11 and standing at the back of the audience instead of paying at the little bar stands and getting fleeced by the local girls dressed in very sexy outfits who where trying to get people to buy beers from there bars. The thai boxing matches where excellent, but we where all pretty shattered from the bus trip so kept it low key and had a relatively early night. The next morning I woke up, opened the door to my beach hut and looked out onto the beatifull thai beach..... and it was pissing it down with rain! We figured we'd make the most of it anyway and rented a couple of mopeds and rode around the island for a while. We then spent a fair amount of money firing a 44 magnum and a pump action shotgun at the shooting range. Fuck it, you've gotta spend a bit of money on Christmas day! Then I met up with  Log who i'd been hanging out with in India and had a pretty damn good roast diner at an Irish bar. That night we headed to a beach party and the two of us headed back to my beach hut ;-). On balance a pretty damn good Christmas day! 

The next day I realized that within 48 hours I'd had my bank card stolen from my bag when I was in Bangkok and I'd left my other bank card in an ATM (again!). So I basically just had my credit card to get money out which charges 33% on cash machine withdrawals. Fortunately I was meeting up with Debz and Loaf in a couple of days who where kind enough to lend me enough money to live on until Dave came out to meet me with the replacement bank cards otherwise I would have been pretty screwed! 

I can't really remember doing a lot else on Samui, Debz and Loaf came out to meet me which was great to see them again. I was trying to have a bit of a detox in preparation for new years on Panyang.....

1 comment:

  1. How did you make a site look this cool. Email me if you want and share your wisdom. I was looking to find a couple of Samui seaview villa for sale. I’d be appreciative.
    http://edenproperty-samui.com/

    ReplyDelete